It may seem like common sense, but there is a right (and wrong) way to shave. Follow these tips for a smooth and razor-burn-free face.
- Shaving should be performed once your beard area has been in contact with warm water and the face is thoroughly cleansed. The warm humidity will open up your pores and soften your skin; you also rid of the skin of any surface impurities. Make sure the water is warm, never hot, the latter may cause flare ups on your skin. When the whiskers are wet, just like hair, they plump up and become weaker, less resistance to the blade (just as in, don’t brush or comb your hair when wet, it snaps!)
- NEVER shave in the shower. The constant humidity will lift off shaving product, therefore not adhering to the whisker. Apply a quality shave product to your face. A pre-shaving product is only needed if the shaving product itself is inferior. Too much gunk will actually make the whisker lay down, not stay standing straight up, as it should be for a good shave. Guy Gear Face Art is recommended for many reasons: Provides the right lubrication that your face needs PRE, During and POST shave. Promotes a smooth glide of the blade on the skin; locks in moisture keeping the whiskers soft and holding them upright. After shaving, Face Art lightly moisturizes and tones the skin. Leave Face Art on your skin for at least 30 seconds before applying the blade to the skin.
- Using a sharp, clean razor, shave in direction that the beard grows (aka, shaving with the grain). Position the blade at about a 90% angle to the skin, 45% if using a safety razor. Assist your skin by lightly pressing into your skin near the beard area you will be shaving, prior to sliding the razor across your face with your other hand.
- Rinse with warm water and then cold water to close the pores. This helps your skin to recover. Again, if you are using a superior skin shaving product, a post shave product is not needed. The latter is just another step that is not necessary.
- What next? Moisturize and if going outdoors, apply sun protection, and if you’re out for an extended period of time, take your sun protection with you. A good skin care regimen is just that: Good for you with easy-on application.
Compliments of Issimo International, producers of Guy Gear Products for Men.